110% Ready for Our First Regatta of 2018
At practice, coach Nick covered the most important thing everyone needs to know: Meet at 9:00am at NHYC. I plan to post more links/details about SoCal1 regatta tomorrow before (or during) the first race or two. In the meantime, here's what you need now:
- Meet for call time is at 9:00am
- Regatta is at Newport Harbor Yacht Club (NHYC)
- All sailors have been registered to participate.
- If parents aren't attending, they need to coordinate a chaperon/carpool, etc.
- Still have a last minute question? Text/call someone on the club roster.
- Note: for each regatta there are links specific to the regatta, such as map. Always check the sidebar links, they change for each event.
- Weather appropriate apparel plus: Life jacket, gloves, watch,
- Weather protection: sun screen, hat, glasses,
- Change of clothes, towel,
- Sustenance: snacks, water, etc.
Upcoming Practice and Our First Regatta
SailorsAre you ready for practice? Including Friday, we have three practices then a fun regatta Saturday in Newport! (Are you prepared?)
Parents: If you can make it, ABYC hosts a happy hour every Friday starting at 5p. Sato Team Parent Mike Stewart will be there this week ~5p, to meet and answer questions. Street parking is free when available. Parking in the city lot outside ABYC is free after 6p, and cheap before then. If you get locked out of ABYC, there is a call button for reception; they'll let you in. Also, you can call one of the parents on the Team Roster.
Upstairs at ABYC there's great view, a full bar, including non-alcoholic beverages, light snacks, etc. This is an opportunity to socialize and meet with other parents from Sato and other High School Parents (Wilson, Los Alamitos, McBride). It's also a chance to discuss the upcoming season and coordinate potential travel plans. There's potential of overnight trips to college towns that host regattas such as Monterey, UCSD, UCSB, Cal Berkeley. UCI and USC also host regattas locally).
NHYC Hosts SoCal1
The SoCal series kicks off at our host Newport Harbor Yacht Club. The SoCal series consists of five events and is geared for new clubs and sailors like Sato Sailing. These events are where we learn to apply sailing skills with racing rules and have fun competing with other Southern California schools.
Are you feeling a little rusty or maybe a little unsure of your skills? Build some confidence and learn more by watching the videos we’ve shared! (link in sidebar)
There’s typically 1-2 Regatta’s per month. One in September. One in October. About half the Regatta’s are one day, the others are full weekends of sailing. Check our calendar (and subscribe to it). The Regatta schedule aligns to Sato school breaks pretty well. More info about how it works coming soon.
In the meantime, be sure you’re ready:
- Are you signed on the team? Please double check Sign-up (3-steps!)
- Come prepared to practice
- Bring a Towel
- Bring / wear required sailing gear
- Bring an after-school snack
- Change of clothes (especially important in winter months)
- Are you signed up on the carpool? (this also means parents)
- Let us know if you’re planning to participate in SoCal1 on Friday. Normally we’ll have a sign-up link, but for the first regatta, lets coordinate in person. Check the roster for contact info.
Regatta Coordination: SoCal1
Right now, we need to know who’s planning to attend. More info about the regatta and how the magic happens … coming soon!